Sephora Launches Pop-Up Scent Museum – The SensoriumWritten by Katrina Radic / Featured in: Uncategorized / 16.11.2011.
The well known make-up company Sephora opened a very interesting pop-up museum in collaboration with perfumery specialists Firmenich, called the Sensorium. It’s a journey trough various scented interactive rooms; a mixture of enjoying and exploring scents while also learning about them, topped of with a Fragrance Bar at the end, where visitors are prompted to describe provocative unlabeled scents and categorize them – similar to a wine tasting, guests smell unbranded scents, discovering preferences based on emotion instead of marketing messages or bottle appearance. The journey includes six distinct encounters that encourage us to rediscover the magic of fragrance:
- The backstory of creation, revealing how we think, experience and interact with scent
- Our brains’ emotional reaction to fragrance, including the impact of a life without scent
- How scent connects everyday actions and memories, making them an integral, yet often unnoticed, part of our lives
- How molecules and extractions blend together to form a finished fragrance that embodies and evokes a unique emotion
- Our brains’ purely instinctual reaction to scent, where our most primal, uninhibited emotions are provoked
- The Fragrance Bar where, similar to a wine tasting, guests smell unbranded scents, discovering preferences based on emotion instead of marketing messages or bottle appearance
These are some pretty interesting things to learn if you ask me. I for one would love to check out the Sensorium – It’s a nice and original concept, and you can very much enjoy it. It’s educational and sophisticated and an awesome way to empower a brands presence. Plus, it has chandeliers made out of glass perfume bottles. What more could you want?
“Fragrance is such an important part of our business, and our clients are always searching for the newest and most unique offerings,” said Sharon Rothstein, Senior Vice President of Marketing for Sephora. “The Sensorium™, created with the experience, knowledge and insight of Firmenich, offered us a tremendous opportunity to reengage, educate and excite about scent in an innovative way.”
The Sensorium will be open for a limited engagement at 414 West 14th Street in Manhattan’s Meatpacking District from October 7, 2011 through November 27, 2011. The $15 admission is redeemable at any Sephora store, Sephora.com or toward any fragrances offered at the Fragrance Bar. For more information or to purchase tickets, log on to www.sephora.com/go/sensorium